Training and development is a process undertaken to improve employees’ performance by increasing the abilities of employees. It is mostly done by improving the skills and knowledge of employees. Through proper training and development, employees are in a better position to perform their current or future tasks. The output of employees increases as a result of proper training.
Training is a short-term process, where employees are equipped with new skills and knowledge for their current job. Whereas, development is meant for improving employee’s performance for future tasks.
Importance of training and development
Training and development for employees are important for several different reasons.
Adding value to employee’s performance
Through proper training organizations increase employee’s value. The company invests in employees growth. Employees also believe that the company cares for their growth and will remain with the company for long.
Preparing employees for future task
Organizations prepare employees for future tasks by enhancing their skills and knowledge. Organizations that realize the importance of training and development prepare their employees in advance. Such an organization knows that training employees in advance put them in a competitive position in the market.
Preparing future leadership
Training and developing employees help the organization prepare a bunch of future leaders. Employees believe that organization is empowering them by equipping them with new skills and knowledge. Employees believe in themselves as future leaders.
Growth of company
Organizations focusing more on employee development will succeed in the future. Uplifting employees will definitely prosper the organization
5 important benefits of training and development
The 5 important benefits of training and development are
- Training and developing employees enhances morale and job satisfaction for employees.
- Improves the skills and knowledge of employees.
- Results in high retention of employees
- Bring efficiency in employees performance, thus resulting in high financial gains.
- Increase employee’s capacity to adopt new technology and processes
4 best practices for employee training and development
Matching training with management goals
Management has certain goals that it wants to achieve from employees. They may want to improve employee’s performance or increase sales. While designing training, trainers should keep management goals in mind.
Examine your employees first
Before preparing a training, the organization needs to study their employees. The organization must know the shortcoming of its employees. Only then it will be in a position to arrange proper training. Without thorough study, the training will go wasted.
Consider a combination of different styles and methods of learning
Since every individual has a different level of comprehension, so it is important to design a training session with multiple styles and methods of learning. Different styles and methods will help employees learn according to their level of comprehension.
Measurement of training outcome
Before commencement of training, management needs to measure the outcome of the training. If it believes training to be beneficial for the employees to achieve better outcomes, so it should arrange otherwise should skip the training.
Types of training and development
There are various types of training and development. Few important types are mentioned below.
- Professional training is a kind of professional education necessary to carry out the daily job
- Technical training involves training of worker regarding new technology introduced in the organisation.
- Soft skill training involves employee development regarding soft skill like communication skills, personality traits.
- Skills training is a training of employees for improving a particular skill.
- Quality training is making employees understand the meaning of quality and how can they prevent low quality products. This is important for companies who produces pysical goods.